Thou Shall Laugh

We wanted to take well known Shakespeare monologues and put them in a modernised context. It’s strange, as we read or listened to the words, we found that it could be very relatable when put in a context that could relate to people’s everyday lives. Inspired by the television show, Mock of the Week, we set this piece up as a stand up comedy night. We used the format of Mock of the Week, in the way that they have a part where a subject is called out and they have to improvise about this.

In order to achieve this, we each had a comedian which we studied and focused on, and then tried to act as they do, in order to convey a comedic style. The words we are saying may not be funny, the way we’re doing this might not be either, but this is an experiment, what happens when these words are given to somebody else, and put straight into their mouth? What happens when dramatic or serious words are given a comedic enhancement.

My Shakespeare monologue is Phoebe, from As You Like It, act 3 scene 5. Where I’m defending myself to Silvius and trying to make him look stupid for attempting to make me feel bad. We found an interpretation of this text which could involve a woman with PMS, whose lashing out at her husband for telling her that she’s been too ‘moody’.

The comedian which I looked at was Michael McIntyre and impersonated his style. His movements and impersonations tend to be dramatic, which fitted well with my characters mood swings and frustration. I wanted to embody the way his arm movements told the story, and the facial expressions he uses. The tool, which did find its way into my piece, was his use of impressions. When I describe the “eyes which are the fairest and softest things”, as McIntyre does, I come out of character and emerge the way he runs up and down the stage, emphasizes certain words and laughs at his jokes, especially after having made them. He goes in and out of character this is what I really want to work on, I think the way into this might be by making pauses.

What do I need to work on through this work of progress?

• Not letting it sound like a Shakespeare monologue
  • Keep my character in mind, not Phoebe, but the wife.
  • Visualise Michael Mcintyre’s style